CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 19, 2007

Why do they leave the guts inside???

So this weekend my roomate tristan and i had the amazing opportunity to cook our very first turkey.... (thank you marci) So the way this got started was marci had a calling in our ward for this fund raiser for needy families in the area for christmas and of course since she decided to go and enjoy the 70 degree weather Tristan and I knew we needed to step up and help out. so we promised marci we would bring a turkey between the size of 10-13 lbs to the dinner. Well to put it lightly just buying the turkey was an adventure and of course getting it cooked was well almost a nightmare. first we get to the store find the turkeys decide on one and start carrying it down the aisle way when we realize it is leaking blood everywhere so we take it back and pick out another one... then we get the metal pan... no problem ... know i have seen my mom cook a turkey every year for thanksgiving and for some reason i recall it being cooked in a bag so we walk up and down every aisle looking for these bags but can't find them anywhere.. so of course i think to myself hey my dad has grocery stores he will know what we are looking for so i call him and finally we find the bags we need next to the tin foil.... here is where the real adventure starts.... we get home know my roomate is one of the coolest people i know but lets justs say that by calling her a picky eater this is a MAJOR (in posh spice's voice) understatement. she can't cut tomatoes because she doesn't eat tomatoes. so the thought of a raw turkey was never going to happen. so we make a deal she can cut and peel the potatoes and i will do the turkey. well of course as i am cutting the bag and trying to pull the turkey out i have no idea there is going to be water mixed with blood so it starts to spill all over the counters and onto the floor. by this point we are dying of laughter. Tristan has know moved to the dinner table and i am trying to catch the turkey stop the blood flow and not fall on my face... it was a pretty classic moment... especially if you know anything about me you know i like to cook but i am no rachel ray... finally i get the bleeding stopped bleach the floor wipe the counters down and look at this scary looking bird on my counter... the entire time thinking this is how people become vegatarians... its this simple just cook a turkey.... i then start to look around and see two giant holes... one where the neck used to be and one that woud appear to be a butt... i again decide i need to call my dad and ask what the hell do i do next.... i knwo i know people this is why i am not married i get it. so i call my dad and he tells he i have to pull out the neck. what appeared to be a liver and all the other guts they just decided to leave in which brings me to the main question.... why the freak do they leave those things in??????? is crazy i tell ya. so i finally get the stuff pulled out i have tears rolling down my cheeks because it really is quite the adventure. we get it in the bag in the metal pan and ready to be in the oven. the good news today at FHE we ate it and it was fantastic. it wasn't dry it was fully cooked and i am confident no one died... well except the turkey... know the other funny thing is i called kacey my sista and she was shocked she kept saying... "you know how to cook a turkey?" over and over again... and well the answer is know yes... i swear boston has just opened all knew doors for me... last weekend through marci leaving specific instructions, IMing me the whole time on our lap tops and a few text messages i was able to make my first batch of home made chicken noodle soup.. it was fantastic. i love all the things i am learning and getting to experiance. life really is grand. and let me tell you if you need any help this thanksgiving just give me a call.... and don't worry if i don't know the answer i'll call my dad....

5 comments:

Lane Blake said...

So I was reading your blog at work instead of working.. little did I realize how funny it was going to be.. I kept laughing out loud and my co-worker probably thinks I am on drugs now or something. That is the best story ever!!!! What are you doing for the holidays?

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I am so sad that I missed out on your and Tristans turkey cooking adventure!! haha I am so proud of you two. You are going to be Rachel Ray by the time this year ends if I have my way. Well I miss ya girl. love ya!

Katy said...

Hey
This is Katy McGee...well... Nielson. Whenever I look hard enough at other peoples blogs... I find other people I know. I LOVE IT. I am sort of a blog snob and love to blog and spy on other peoples blogs. YOU LOOK GREAT! We have a blog too, in case you get extremely bored :)... tyandk8.blogspot.com

Happy Holidays...!
Katy

Dianne said...

Holy cow Jo! You cooked a turkey?!?!?!?! That is something I have NEVER done and NEVER will! But I thoroughly loved reading your adventure in the land of turkey. I made our whole dinner, except the turkey - that was made by the nice folks at the Honey Baked Ham store! Haha. That's how I roll . . .

Unknown said...

Hey you crazy girl! I am so glad that you found us!! And it looks like Katy found you haha! Your blog is Way cute, and what an adventure you are one right now way over there! Anyways we'll keep checking up on you! happy holidays